How to create head seams in one carpet but avoid head seams in another carpet in the same project

Posted by Administrator - 6/17/2016 7:20 PM
Admin
Member for: 2 years 4 months 28 days

This article applies to M2 2015 version

Estimators sometimes want to layout carpet in different ways in order to compare waste ratios . This article will show you how to create head seams in one carpet but avoid head seams in another carpet in the same project.

For example, the room size is 30' by 33" dancing room.The product comes in rolls that are 4’11” wide and 7 different possible roll lengths (16’, 32’, 41, 49, 59’, 65’ and 82’) and cannot provide custom cuts.

Step 1: To avoid head seams, estimator could select carpet with roll length that is longer than 30". Here let's assume she uses 32' carpet. Product tab->Add a carpet, say carpet A->change carpet width to 4'11", estimation width to 4'11" and roll length to 32'->make sure change max T seam to 0 to avoid head seams ->save and close

Step 2: To allow head seams, create another carpet, say carpet B ->change carpet width to 4'11", estimation width to 4'11" and roll length to 32'->make sure change max T seam to 2 to allow head seams -> save and close

Step3: draw two rooms with same size and apply carpet A and carpet B to each room respectively.

Step 4: click horizontal estimation -> on the pop-up make sure change min fit length to 1' to move next roll cut to the left, if the left over of previous roll is more than 1'

Step 5: compare waste ratio on the cut sheet between two carpets.

• Trusted Member
    Member for: 2 years 4 months 7 days
    #1 by PerformanceSurfaces 6/20/2016 4:03 PM
    This is a very important topic. 
  • Trusted Member
    #2 by rtipping2001 7/4/2016 6:05 PM

When I was an Installer I used to avoid cross joins like the plague - as an estimator I think it's still  an influence. I still avoid them if its possible.

No doubt one of the fascinating things about M2 is how you can play with the layout I know of no other program that can do this so easily.

• Trusted Member
    #3 by PerformanceSurfaces 7/21/2016 10:28 AM
    Robert, have you noticed a failure to auto-reestimate after moving seams on big jobs? 
  • Trusted Member
    #4 by rtipping2001 7/21/2016 10:43 AM

Although overall the seam shifting seam disappearing issues seem to be a lot better - I did work recently with a very good estimator who had a deep disliking for auto estimate .

I have to say I have not experienced this but I do work with folks that have said the same thing .

There was a time when I would open and close the program several times sometimes even reboot to make sure I was getting a stable bottom line figure.But I have been good recently.

I just have to find an anti virus that will play nice .lol.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 messages